Thursday, February 28, 2008

President Obama Hama

I met a woman today who volunteers at a local elementary school. She works with kindergartners and 2nd grade students and she told me a story about a 5 year old boy that she was helping. The little boy asked her,

“Have you heard of President Obama Hama?”

She said, “I think I know who you are talking about.”

The boy said, “Have you heard of President Hilary?”

She said, “I think I know who you are talking about.”

The boy said, “Did you know they don’t like each other? I heard them say that on the news last night.”

She said, “That’s not very nice! You can say I don’t like something you do, or I don’t like something you said but you should never say “I don’t like you.”

The boy said, “I know! I can’t watch the news anymore. I get too depressed.”

The wisdom of a 5 year old!

I agree with him. When I see the news, when I see how things really are, when I see how much evil is in the world I tend to get rather depressed. I tend to feel a little hopeless.

But I am convinced that we have great reason to hope. I am convinced that Jesus Christ is the solution for the world. That the way of forgiveness, love and peace will ultimately triumph over the world of evil, hate and violence. I am convinced that the way of Jesus is the best way to live.

No comments: