Friday, February 08, 2008

Amsterdam

We're sitting in Amsterdam now. The time at home is 3:30 A.M. and its 9:30 A.M. here.

Everyone is having a great time so far and we haven't had any problems at all. I have never traveled so quickly through security at an airport! Things are going great.

A lot of our group is getting pretty tired...ok all of our group! and it's really starting to show on their faces! But I still think they are all beautiful!

Our entire team if finally together here. Kathy and the Shorbes met us in Detroit and the other couple (I don't know their names!) just now met us here in Amsterdam at our gate.

The flight to Amsterdam went faster than expected we had a strong tail wind and ended up arriving an hour earloy. The phrase "hurry up and wait" keeps coming to my mind along with the lyrics to a Jerry Garcia song "Sitting here in Limbo".

I've really enjoyed the mix of people here. On the plane today the man in front of me had his new born son and 5 year old daughter and they were traveling to Kuwait to see his mom. Behind me was an Indian family, and next to me was a woman from Laos and in front of her a man from Kenya. I really enjoy being around such a diverse group of people. There were some interesting smells as well!

We will be waiting here for about 3 hours and then we head off to Entebbe, which is another 8 hour flight! We will spend the night at our hotel in Entebbe and then we are off to Masindi in the morning, which I think is about a 5-6 hour drive.

This is all still a bit surreal. When we landed here it was a fun realization that 7 years ago I was in the exact same place and I never really thought that I would ever be here again. It's crazy where life takes you. I was telling someone the other day how increadible my life has been. I have had such a blessed and privelaged life to go to all the places I have been to and to see all the things I have seen. Before I left I said that this was about it on my list of places I would like to see but now after browsing airling magazines I'm thinking about Kuwait, Greece, and Korea! And I'm not even in Africa yet!

On the plane I watched the movie "The assination of Jessie James: by the Coward Robert Ford" it was pretty much amazing and I can't wait to watch it on a normal t.v. when I get home. You should check it out. It's really long...

Well I'm off to wait in line at security to board our plane to Entebbe. I'm really excited to touch down and finally be in Africa. I can't wait! I'm really excited and looking forward to having my whole world changed these next 2 weeks. I'm anticipating what God is going to do in my life here. I don't have a clue what it is but it is my hope that when I return home I will be a different person!

A friend of mine in North Vernon has been telling me the past few week, "I can't wait for you to come back your are going to be so different!" I hope so!

Keep praying for us! I only have a few minutes left so I need to post this! Hopefully you will here some more from me tomorrow!

Love, Joy & Peace!

7 comments:

Angee said...

Ryan - You are really doing it! I have been praying and praying for you -- as has the FCC youth group. The CSI program at the Middle School is going to be awesome. 12 kids yesterday - pretty impressive for something new. :) I told them about your trip -- and they are looking forward to hearing from you. The blog is cool -- will definitely be checking back to see updates. Keep the faith - be an open, incredible servant. Touch lives - and let God mold you like clay. :) In Christ, Angee

swimmer91 said...

Hey Ryan!

swimmer91 said...

Ryan,
I didnt mean to just say hey ryan in the last message, it entered in too quick or something. lol! Wow! Its so crazy cuz I'm in english class goofing off and ur on your way to Africa!!! I hope you guys are safe! I really liked reading ur blog. I was sitting in here in class, and then I thot , " Ryan's Blog!!!" just like that too! Hope to see ur next one! Well I better go now, i should be writing a paper...boring! :D Hope to here from you soon!
-Caylon
P.S.- I liked ur txt you sent me about the german professor, I laughed! lol And dont worry bout this here, I'll keep it all in order! I'll make sure my brother takes care of Claxxy too!

Roger Kaufman said...

Ryno-We enjoy reading you blog and are praying for you.

Today is Drew's 6th birthday. Hope all is well.

Love,

Uncle Rog, Aunt Cortney, Drew, Kate, and Drake

Unknown said...

Ryan
Just wanted you to know that I am praying for you! Serve God like you know how:)
Prayers that You will be Jesus with Skin on and that you will come back changed.
Love ya

Elizabeth Bloom

Sharon Kaufman said...

Ryan, We are so happy you are able to go on this W & W trip! Uncle Jack said tell you it's your first trip and he just completed his last trip (35). Now that's alot of work & witnessing! So you can take up where he left off. You are in our thoughts and prayers daily. Love you much. Grandma & Grandpa Kaufman

Renee said...

Rynie... I just read your blog. It was great!! This is going to be a long two weeks without talking to you everyday. I am so glad you were able to do this.. Cant wait to see what you have to write next. Love ya little brother :)

Renee