Monday, January 05, 2009

M.A.S.H.

If you have been following my updates on facebook, or have happened to catch me on MSN or facebook chat you probably know that I have been pretty sick these past few days. Well apparently I’ve been really sick! I’ve been in bed for the past 2 days with the Asian flu! I know…real exotic!

The staff here actually made me go to the ER yesterday afternoon. I had to walk downstairs and then a driver drove me about 20 minutes to the city of Pohong to go to the hospital. I was a little afraid to go to a hospital ER in Korea (maybe to many episodes of M.A.S.H.?) but then I began to think about how many doctors I know from the states that are Korean. My fears subsided a little…until we walked into the ER. My translator Cu said to me “You might see something interesting in here,” right before we walked in.

It was crazy! The ER was like a trauma center and there were people on cots all over the room! Their were no dividers between beds and you could see everyone. Some were rolling around their beds in pain, some had blood over them and some weren’t really moving at all.

We talked to the man at the front desk and he told us that it would cost $100 USD to see a doctor today (Sunday) but if I waited until tomorrow I could see one for only $10 USD. So we went to the grocery store and bought some fruit instead! I didn't go back today. I'm feeling a lot better!

The camp nurse gave me a bunch of pills to take so I have been taking those. I have been drinking lots of water, sleeping a lot, and I even found some mint tea (my favorite!) at the grocery store. I’m starting to feeling better but my voice is still a little rough and I’m pretty congested still. It’s much better than cold chills and sweating all night with a high fever! So please keep praying for me that I continue to improve. I had to have someone teach my class today which means I don’t get paid for being here today!

Hope all is well for you!

Love, Joy & Peace!

No comments: