Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year - New Plan














I don't know of a single New Year's resolution that I have ever kept,

and yet I have decided to make one for this new year!

I printed out a Bible reading plan for 2010 today.

I've never really used a structured bible reading plan before. My plan usually consists of picking a book of the bible to read through or I use a lectionary type guide (Old Testament reading, New Testament reading, Epistle reading, and a Psalm). I'm looking forward to this reading plan though.

The plan is set up to read from Genesis 1:1 through Revelation 22:21 between January 1, 2010 and December 31, 2010.

In the past I was never a big fan of the whole bible in a year thing. I would argue that it becomes more about saying, "I did it!" than about engaging God's word. I would also argue that a person might...actually I don't really know why I was against it! I probably was lazy and just didn't want to commit to a structured plan! But now that I'm married I'm not struggling with that whole commitment thing as much!

I've also felt motivated to form a more structure and disciplined time of prayer and reading of scripture. I've had this longing to know God in deeper ways, to engage the mystery of Him more, to get closer to his heart. The things we plan and prepare are the things we get done. So I'm planning and preparing for these times in the new year. I have no idea what this next year will bring, the last one sure brought me some surprises both good and bad!

If your looking for a plan of your own click here and browse through some of their 20+ reading plans.

Pray for me as I enter into this time of reading. Especially February 2-12 as I read through the book of Leviticus!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Ryan! How's the reading going? LCCN purchased a bunch of 1Year Bibles and people have been buying them and committing to the reading. I've started it, and it's good! I've never read the Bible thru in a year either...actually never even read the entire Bible thru! So you hold me accountable, OK? And I'll plan to keep asking you! Hope you and your wifey are having a wonderful Saturday! Love you! Mom Burkey